Thursday, March 21, 2013

Tuesday's bonks: Explained?

Since I appear to be turning my body into a science experiment with constant measuring. I can relate one more measurement that I am doing. I read somewhere (can't recall where) about taking your resting pulse early in the morning when you wake up. So I have been doing that with a nice pulse monitor that I have had for awhile.

One interesting thing you can tell from monitoring my morning pulse is that it has drifted down since I started measuring back in early January. My resting pulse rate in the first week of January and has steadily drifted down from the low 70's to the low 50's. Showing as the study said an improved fitness level, which I can tell simply because I can run further faster and easier then I could in Janaury.

But a more interesting fact that you can determine is that for example for six straight days my pulse was in the low 50's in the morning, but two Mondays and Tuesdays in a row, my pulse was in the low 60's. Mondays are my rest days after a long run on Sunday, and then on Tuesday I have had lousy runs. The time frame between runs is as long as I can make (55-58 hours) it to give my body as much rest as I can after the long run. So the last two Tuesdays my workouts have been awful. One workout I actually just broke off and stopped, the other I walked slowly the rest of way. On Wednesday however my pulse has bounced back to the low 50's again.

An interesting indicator I think perhaps and perhaps a way of determining my rest needs. Next week I shifted around my workouts  so I can get some extra rest. I also think it confirms my idea to do the marathon training with only three runs a week. So I can move around my runs to adapt to my bodies signals. Two shorter runs on Wednesday and Friday with a longer run on Sunday. Stretching and weight lifting in between on those days, mostly upper body however.

No comments:

Disqus Shortname

Comments system