Sunday, March 3, 2013

Todays long run

I ran a solid 8 miles at a nice slow pace today. Woke up at 5:00 am and had two slices of toast with cream cheese and then a Gatorade G1 series prime, and was on the treadmill at 5:35. I also had two G2 series Gatorade drinks which I sipped at the mile marks. Sadly I ran out around mile 7, but since I only ran 8 it was not so bad.

I ran at a 16 minute mile pace for the first half, and a 15 minute mile pace for the second half. A negative split! The negative split is always my goal in these runs, even though these are long slow base building workouts.

I also monitored my heart rate on the treadmills heart rate monitor. I was steady in the 120's all the way out to about mile 5 when it drifted up to about 135 by the end of the run. So today, overall, was quite positive, with 33 days to the half-marathon I am comfortable in the knowledge that I can run 13.1 miles, my time might not be as impressive but I do have some speedier short runs coming up this week. Capped by a long run of 6 miles next Sunday and then a 10 miler the Sunday after that, and then I back off my miles in preparation for the half on April 6th.

Post race, I have some soreness in my left arch, which I am treating with some ice and then will stretch out the arch using some arch exercises I just found online.

No comments:

Disqus Shortname

Comments system