Sunday, June 11, 2006

Viva Mexico and USA USA USA!

I grew up in Mexico as many of you know. It was there that I learned to play and enjoy soccer. I have attended 3 world cups (Mexico 70, Mexico 86 and USA 94) and seen many games including the final of 1994 between Brazil and Italy. The most agonizing game I have ever watched was the second round game between Mexico and the USA in the last world cup because I support both national sides passionately. Today however at 11 Mexico debuts in this world cup against Iran, Monday the USA does against the Czech Republic.

I do promise to return to Round Lake related items after my soccer obsession on the blog.

NOTE:
the black and white picture in the previous post was the exact instant the ball crossed the line in the 1966 world cup final which gave England its only win. The ball hit the cross bar and came straight down and the Germans claimed it never crossed the line. The referee thought differently and awarded the goal to give England the lead 3-2 in overtime! Kudos to soccer nut Brian Brubaker for getting this almost instantly, to easy for him!

No comments:

Disqus Shortname

Comments system