Monday, April 24, 2006

The Mayors Email Basket

One of the things that I get a lot in my inbox is some irate resident with about 100 complaints about usually 99 things that either I have no control over, or had nothing to do with. But you need to blame someone and the Mayor (or any elected official, HOA President etc) is an excellent venue to vent on. As many of you know if you ask me calmly and rationally about something I generally respond via email or the phone. You may not like the answer, but you get one. I think its important to be responsive to the people who elected me.

So a few days ago I got this email that literally has all the "more irate" residents triggers in it. So to save the emailer some embarrassment I have removed any reference to where they live and who they are. I am leaving the email exactly the way it was sent to me, however I have placed XXX where it would identify the location of this resident.
Mr. Gentes -
It is not a common practice of mine to write emails such as this. I must express my current stress level in regards to what the XXX Park at XXX has turned into. If I wanted living like this, I would have remained a resident of the city of Chicago.
My husband and I moved to Lake County in 1998 with the hopes of living in a peaceful environment. Since we have moved here, it has continued to become a burden. I am at the ends of my rope with the park here at XXX. It wasn't bad enough that the XXX Builder lied to us when they told us the park would remain with the residents of XXX. So all of us that were told this lie swallowed the news and put up with what it has turned into.
The soccer groups that are here during the week have taken things over. This includes safe access through our streets. They conjest the whole area. God forbid if an ambulance needed to get through. At what life's cost is a soccer game. They have kicked out children who are playing in the park just so they can have their soccer practice. They leave their garbage on the ground. I have been to your meetings, you instructed me to call the police number anonymously. I'm tired of being questioned by the police for my address even after I have mentioned your name and what you instructed me to do. And I know one of the officers has told one of the soccer coaches who it is that called the police to report the parking issues. Who are they serving and protecting?
It's not bad enough that I spend 3 hours everyday fighting traffic going to and from work - which is only 16 miles one way. Most of my compute time is spent in Round Lake, Hainsville and Grayslake. Then I work 8 hours. That totals 11 hours so far and now I must come home to all this traffic and numerous soccer groups right out in front of my house. By the time they leave, I have to go inside because now all the mosquito's have come out. I am a prisoner of my own home.
I HATE IT HERE NOW. I wished I had never moved here. Clearly I feel you only care for the residents you want to care for. Where did all these soccer groups play before XXX was built? I have seen schools with playing fields that are empty why can't they use these areas?
The Director of the Park District tells me the XXX Park at XXX is not in a residential area. I don't know what he is looking at but there are homes that go around this park on all 4 sides. Not to mention it is situated right in the middle of our subdivision. Whats not residential about that.
There are kids that hangout in this park at night to do who knows what. I thought the park closed at dusk- at least that's what the sign say's that's at the entrance of the park. Maybe the rules only apply when we feel like enforcing them. Where are the Park Ranges why don't they patrol. Isn't that what our taxes help pay for.
The gazebo has been torn apart by these punks. They damaged numerous mail boxes.
How much do we have to take?
I have a heart condition and the amount of stress this is causing is getting to be more than I can deal with. If something doesn't happen soon to make this a peaceful park again, you leave me no choice but to consult legal advise to see how much stress and harassment one must take before they themselves can take action.
I know if it was my responsibily to hold a position such as yours, the residents which I represent would be my number one priority. How much do you know about us? When are things goings to start changing for the good for the residents of Round Lake.
We keep paying higher taxes but it's you that reeps the benefits. I haven't seen anything other than more houses being built, my compute time getting longer and a park that's attracting gang bangers.
Would the village like to pitch in for the gas our vehicles are burning because WE CAN'T MOVE. STOP BUILDING ALL THESE HOUSES UNTIL YOU CAN DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE ROADWAYS. Or maybe you want to send your child into a park to play with used needles, used rubbers or maybe you can let them swing on a swing next to a drug dealer.
I would love to see the police more round here. Believe me, it's safer for us with them here.
Maybe, we need a new Mayor! Clearly you have heard what I have to say in your monthly Village meetings. My mother had a phrase for people who didn't respond "IN ONE EAR AND OUT THE OTHER" I hope that's not your plan on dealing with the issues I'm bringing to the table.
I AM WAITING FOR YOUR RESPONSE - so please don't low this off.
Well this hits the whole range of things I hear about. More then likely given the fact that we have worked with this resident numerous times and taken quite a few proactive steps to allay there concerns I would just acknowledge the email and move on. In my service as Mayor I have learned there are a segment of people who you can't make happy, and no matter what you do, they will never be satisified.

This is the response that I'd like to give but I know I won't because I'm sure the writer is a good person but just highly frustrated at daily issues that have no immediate solution.
Dear Un-happy Person
I received your email last week, you raise many points. Let me attempt to address them one by one.
First. The developer lied to you, okay join the club! Its not an exclusive club, I would guess there are a couple million people in it in Chicago alone. I am a member as well.
Second. You bought a home directly across from a park. What did you think was going to happen in a park? Kids would not play? Kids would not make noise? If you had such an issue why not choose a home site well away from the park? There were and are lots of those around.
Third. The soccer groups that play in "your park" are in Round Lake Area Park District operated parks and are 100% legitimately able to be there. Oh by the way I drove over to the park to see the soccer hooligans damaging mail boxes, shooting up, and then leaving used condoms all over the place. You know what I found? I found your neighbors coaching teams of kids who live right in XXX development. They range from maybe 6 years old to 14 years old. That's the danger age right there. I would suggest that these dangerous thugs are better off playing in organized leagues rather then out pillaging and looting.
I also met Jose, who holds a masters degree in engineering, who takes time from his job to coach his kids and his neighbors kids in AYSO soccer, he lives exactly 4 blocks from you. He tells me you harass him and only him, I wonder why? He does not know you.
Fourth. I told you to call 911 if you saw something offensive, the dispatchers do not ask your name if you do not want to use your name. You might actually know this if you actually called 911 about something.
Fifth. You sit in traffic! Wow really imagine my surprise! You must realize that traffic is a county, state and federal issue, but however it's easier to blame me. Maybe you should see that I am very actively pursuing traffic improvements throughout the county, including one that is crucial to Round Lake, the 120 bypass.
Sixth. Mosquito's make your life unbearable. The village agressively sprays 6-8 times a year, as best I can tell there is no problem right now. If mosquitos drive you inside I am sure they drive the thugs inside as well, so this might be a good thing.
Seventh. You are going to sue? For what? Buying a house? Kids playing soccer? Giant bugs? Traffic Jams?
Eighth. There is a lot more here in the email that kinda starts to ramble so I am going to stop responding because the rest is just ranting.
Ninth. When you list your house, make sure your realtor uses the words "right across from the park" I hear it's a selling point, and people pay more to live right across from the park.

Sincerely yours
Bill Gentes
Mayor of Round Lake

No comments:

Disqus Shortname

Comments system