Monday, January 7, 2013

The Running Plan for the Half Marathon

I am working towards a half marathon sometime in early April and am using a beginners half marathon plan I got from the book Marathoning for Mortals which was an excellent read. The plan is straight forward enough and fits with my schedule.

Basically I have a long run on the weekend, with three smaller runs focusing on different aspects of the run during the week. With some adjustments the program looks like this.

Tuesday-- Easy Run for x amount of minutes
Thursday-- Cross training or run for x amount of minutes at 60-70% of max heart rate
Friday-- Form run focusing on technique for x amount of minutes at 60-70% of max heart rate
Saturday-- Moderate effort run for x amount of minutes slightly higher pace then Fridays run.
Sunday-- Long run at a slow pace for x number of miles.

In this plan I have made some modifications, since I just can't (because of work) do 4 runs during the week I don't do the rest day I should have on Saturday after the moderate effort run. However I try to do longer run later in the day and Saturday run early to give me as much rest as possible.

No comments:

Disqus Shortname

Comments system