Saturday, March 4, 2006

Reading Across America

Last Thursday I spent 2 hours reading to sixth graders at Beach Elementary for the National Education Association's Reading Across America program. I read in 3 classes and had a great time. I answered questions about what Mayors do, I also spoke to each class in Spanish which they got a kick out of. I also told the kids how much I read, and they were either A) skeptical or B) shocked. Round Lake Resident and Beach Elementary teacher Carole Shook invited me. I saw a few community leaders like Round Lake Village Clerk Jeanne Kristan and District 116 Chief Financial Officer Wally Korpan reading as well.
Read Across America was originally created as a one-day event to celebrate the joy of reading on March 2, Dr. Seuss's birthday. Today, in 2006, the program has grown into a nationwide initiative that promotes reading every day of the year. I was proud to participate with millions across the United States.

No comments:

Disqus Shortname

Comments system