Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Comments Part Deux

Well after 48 hours of moderating comments, I have decided that's it to much work. By and large I read the comments once in the evening or in the morning, otherwise I ignore the blog. Today was just plain annoying having to check comments and then moderate them, so I am not doing it anymore.

I do have a few observations from the comments about comments. The blog is created and maintained off the village website, by blogger.com and I use a haloscan for commenting. The design of the site was by a Valley Lakes Resident who graciously and genorously redesigned it for me (Thanks Ali). The site is actually a pointer from eroundlake.com.

However when I decided to start the blog I had two ways of doing it. The first was as the Mayor off the eroundlake.com website the second was to host it via blogger or some other blogging software as mayor.blogger.com for example and not be writing it as your formal Mayor.

My thinking was two-fold. Those who know me well, know that I can be somewhat blunt. When I looked at blogs hosted offsite my thinking was what a great way to express what I really think, however I decided that I could not do that type of blog publicly. So I decided to blog publicly via the village site, and be hosted by the village, I have to be "good" becuase of its percived attachment to the village. I have tried, successfully, in my opinion to not mention people in a negative fashion. I also have not commented on many issues that could portray the village in an extraordinary negative light, not that I might not at some future date. I get enormous enjoyment from this public blog and decided about 6 months ago to get rid of the prior private blog (Tim, John, Michael, Al and Brian, it's deleted and purged so no use looking for it, you all know I am clever enough to do that as well).

So it's distressing to read personal attacks on the comments about other people who comment, however, becuase I try not to do that, while some comments are funny some are caustic others are mean spirited, please try to stick to the issues. I am going to allow comments to return to an un-moderated status. I am going to find a commenting software that has some more controls on it however.

For those of you wondering what the picture has do with this post, it was mentioned in one of the comments that I should have been gloating over winning the Round Lake Spartan Golf Outing on Saturday, but I can't, that would be vain! However when the hole looks that big to you, golf is an easy game! The hole looked that big, quite a bit, on Saturday for my foursome.

No comments:

Disqus Shortname

Comments system