Friday, May 13, 2005

The Seamier Side of Being Mayor

When I was elected Mayor 4 years ago one of the things that was completely new to me were policing and public safety issues. I worked very hard to grasp the issues that confront us from a "public safety" point of view. Over time I became very familiar with resources that can help us evaluate public safety in Round Lake.

So with the horrific tragedy that took place in Zion last week I think it might be appropriate to remind you of one of the resources that the Lake County Sheriff's office has. Its the Registered Sex Offender list. You can search by municipality. I would caution you that the people listed here are registered and monitored and have paid their debt to society in terms of jail time.

I would also add that I know as Mayor, how vigilant our Police Department is when it comes to monitoring these people, I have always been impressed with the level of attention they place on this particular issue. While we are never 100% safe, our vigilance is very very high.

No comments:

Disqus Shortname

Comments system