Tuesday, March 20, 2007

College Trip

I wasn't going to write about my daughters college trip to Northern Michigan University this weekend, but so many people were asking me about it. I decided to!

Marquette MI, is way up there! The drive was not bad but 6 hours long with not much happening after Green Bay. We spent Friday evening meeting with the girls track coach who took us around the dome (lower right of picture) and the athletic facilities. Both very impressive, the dome is the largest wooden structure in the world, has a football field inside with a track and seat 9,000. The varsity athletic and general student atheltic facilities were quite impressive and well thought out. We then drove arround downtown Marquette and out to Presque Island.

Saturday was academics and a campus tour, a group of us had a visit to the fine arts building and to discuss potential majors (daughter is interested in human centered design) and we were quite impressed by everything we saw.

We ate in the cafeteria and I was impressed, the days when I went to college are long gone, no sloppy joes were to be seen! They even had a vegetarian section! We then checked out a few dorm rooms, which are basically 12 x 12 bunkers. I think my daughter was shocked by the size, or rather lack of size and closet space, no room for 250 shoes!

Then we drove back to Round Lake on Sunday. All in all I was very impressed, the school demonstrated a clear commitment to students and the students agreed that the school was student centric! My daughter liked the school as well. So we shall see!

No comments:

Disqus Shortname

Comments system