Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Mayors for Meals in Lake County

I am spending the morning participating in "Mayors for Meals" which was organized locally by Catholic Charities Lake County Senior Community Services and nationally by Meals on Wheels Association of America. We spend a hour or so socializing and listening to information about the program from a national perspective. We then pair up with our local community rep as well and then went go off to the distribution site. This is the second year that this program was offered and I enjoyed it last year immensely, along with learning quite abit about Catholic Charities program that are offered here in the Round Lake Area.

Lake County had more mayors participating then any other site in the United States last year! 18 mayors participating and only 462 nationwide so we got to pat ourselves on the back for that! Last year that is!

I delivered 5 hot meals to various seniors in the village and had a good time talking with the seniors, and hopefully they had a good time talking to me as well.

If you are looking to volunteer with some free time, I can assure you that Catholic Charities located right off of Cedar Lake road in our downtown area will welcome you with open arms.
There are numerous programs and services that Catholic Charities offer outside of the meals program, and if you know of a senior in need of help, I would refer them there for help!All in all I had a worthwhile time! I am already pledged to do it again next year!

No comments:

Disqus Shortname

Comments system