Thursday, March 29, 2007

Attack of the Birds

Last night was quite the night. The last few years my house has suffered from an invasion of birds who fly into one of our attic vents on the side of the house and force there way through the vent and nest in the tubing up in our attic. A few years before that we had a big bee problem in the same spot. So I actually preferred the birds!

I have hoisted my self into the inferno/fiberglass hell that is our attic, and discovered that Neumann Homes did there usual shoddy job with the vent, by not installing any cover or any formal attachment which the birds pecked away in 2-3 seconds. So using my trusty roll of duct tape I reattached the vent as best I could while sweating and scratching from the heat and fiberglass.

Anyway over the last few weeks I have heard the pleasant chirping of little birds when I wake up. A nice thing? Not when you know they are in your house! Since I don't have a ladder long enough to get after the outside of the vent, I am promised myself that I would go up to the attic over the weekend and fix the vent again. Which I hate.

Well anyway, last night the birds pecked there way through the vent tube and were banging around, chirping and what sounded like (I kid you not) speaking in tounges all night long. They appeared to be having a convention right above my bathroom where the vent fan was. It also sounded like they had a kids toy that had some form of repetitive beeping noise with them.

So at 1am I am in my bathroom with all the lights on glaring at the vent where all the noise was coming from and disturbing my limited beauty rest. When I decided to turn the fan on and hopefully mulch the birds and the kids toy. Thats not what happened but it scared the crap out of the birds, which had some value, and drove them some where else in the attic, because they quieted down.

So when I get home tonight I am venturing up into the attic and duct taping the vent with 6-10 rolls of tape if I have to, and then this weekend I am going to venture up the side of the house and figure out a way of blocking the vent. Delightful!

No comments:

Disqus Shortname

Comments system