Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Comments on the Future of the Blog

There have been times over the last two years that I have wanted to comment on what's going on in the village, but since I am the Mayor, and political reality being what it is in Round Lake, I have been reluctant to comment on some of the major issues in the village. I have deliberately left my opinions of Village Board actions out of this blog. However as the blog changes I am not sure I should continue that policy.
I strongly believe that discussions should take place in public on our village's future direction, however its extraordinarily frustrating that the only time we have general public at our meetings is when its a NIMBY (not in my back yard) issue. Even then we have only a few people at that. So my feeling is that since you won't come to us, we need to come to you, hence a more opinionated blog, on the more crucial issues facing the village.
Obviously I am not going to comment on issues that we deal with in executive session (legal, personnel and land acquisition) but I am going to talk more directly to specific issues. A few issues that I am going to address in future posts are train horns, policing, SSA's, Dawn Marie issues, school funding, school district issues, downtown development and of course economic development. In many cases if we have voted on these issues I am going to link to the minutes so you can see where your elected officials stand on these issues. Hopefully this will give the average Round Lake resident a better understanding of what's going on the first and third Monday's of each month at 7:00pm in the village Hall.
My rule of thumb is and will be if I am willing to say it at a village board meeting I could write it here! This will, I know, make some people angry, uncomfortable, and it will embarrass some people, but it will help you become better informed, and ultimately transparent government is good for all of us.

No comments:

Disqus Shortname

Comments system