Thursday, April 24, 2008

7 Years in Jail errrrrr Office!

Well today is my anniversary of exactly 7 full years as Mayor. I could have sworn I would be out for good behavior, by now! I have learned a lot in the last seven years. Allow me to summarize!
  • Trust your instincts, making good decisions is hard and sometimes making those decisions means unpopular results happen.
  • Once you have learned how the village works, don't be afraid to take it out for a spin! You would be surprised at some of the results.
  • I have made 100's of friends, when I was elected my contacts in Microsoft Outlook were under 200, today I have close to 3,200 (not all are friends I would observe) but many are.
  • Its much harder then it looks!
  • Government moves much slower then you want it to.
Some of the other comments or observations I would make are:
  • Being Mayor is the single most rewarding thing I have ever done in my life.
  • Being Mayor is the single most aggravating thing I have ever done in my life.
  • Always keep an eye on the "out of the ordinary residents" when they somehow get your cell number make sure you tag them in all "UPPER CASE" in case you "accidentally" answer that phone call. By the way there are 23 of them at this time in my contact list. If you are on this list calling my phone 2 times a day for 5 weeks in a row, is not going to get improve your odds!
Things that I find myself saying more and more!
  • Did you call 911? No, then why not?
  • Thanks for telling me that.
  • Please don't park on the grass.
  • Yes we do patrol the sub divisions
  • No we are not picking on you.
Mayoral oddities that only I may find amusing:
  • People do not tailgate my car, since it has Mayoral plates, the moment they see that, they drop back suddenly, quite amusing to me! When I drive my daughters car I notice how people are on my tail all the time, outrageous!
  • 4th graders get the biggest kick out of my mayoral badge, that seems to be the optimal age, lower and they don't get it, higher and they are jaded.
  • People of all ages enjoy meeting the Mayor, that never gets old!
  • Almost everywhere I go, someone says I love or read the blog!
Best things I have done:
  • Modernize the village's operations (not sexy but needed).
  • Fixed our police department.
  • Started this blog to better communicate.
Worst things I have done:
  • Yeah you wish!

No comments:

Disqus Shortname

Comments system