Tuesday, February 12, 2008

RIP-- State Senator Adeline Geo-Karris

Yesterday I learned that former State Senator Adeline Geo-Karris passed away at 89 years young.

I met her about 7 years ago right after I became Mayor and in her direct way she dissected me and my political beliefs, always accusing me of being a Republican which I denied, because of course I am not. Our standing joke was always me trying to convert her to the wisdom of the democratic party and hers was to convert me.

Since she was Greek we had her visit us for Greek Easter periodically which was always an adventure, I had to drive to Zion, pick her up, drive her giant Lincoln (which was like driving a giant pillow) all the while listening to her shout at me that there was stop sign coming up, and calling me Billy the whole time. Which only my sister is currently allowed to call me!

Anyway even though the village of Round Lake has exactly one parcel of land in the 31st Senate District and no residents, Geo always and I mean always, looked out for the village of Round Lakes interests. When I called she responded and helped.

While she did not change my political leanings she did encourage me to run for the State Senate and if I can be 10% the Senator she was I will be happy! Geo I will miss you and so will the village of Round Lake

No comments:

Disqus Shortname

Comments system