Monday, February 11, 2008

COMMENTARY--Round Lake Lake Plans (Part 1 of 3)

Last week I reported to the village board on my attendance at the Round Lake Area Lake Management Commission's annual report to the villages. Trustee Don Newby also attended with me.

They have done an exceptional job of creating a viable workable framework and a road map forward for protecting the lake.

The commission is a 9 person board with each community that has its borders on the lake appointing via the Mayor three people to the commission, our three appointees are Doug Vehlow, Niel Flamm and John Gutknecht (serving as Chairman).

Some of the projects that the commission undertake are as follows:
  • Annual Lake Clean up
  • Fishing Derby
  • Veneitian Night
  • Detailed mapping of the lake bottom (no train engine was found)
  • Participating in a Illinois State study on lake use by residents.
As I sat listening to the various lake issues I started to think about how we could do better as a muncipality with our lake namesake and in parts 2 and 3 of this commentary I will address them.

No comments:

Disqus Shortname

Comments system