Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Wellness Plans

I have been amazed at all the good ideas that I received about a wellness program in Round Lake. The feedback has been quite good with lots of ideas for how to move forward. Let me summarise the ideas for you.
  • Running four 5k's in the neighborhood was well received, some residents suggested some enhancements like sponsorship, (I already have one offer from the founders of http://www.mapmyrun.com/ to sponsor some things in exchange for their logo on shirts. A points series open to RL residents (sort of like NASCAR for age groups) with trophies given out to the winners and over all champions!

  • Making Round Lake smoke free, which seems to be a move sweeping the county and the state. I am not sure of all the ins and outs of this right now and am going to talk to the village board about there thoughts as well.

  • Hosting monthly run/walks in the various neighborhoods of Round Lake. To encourage neighborliness and fitness amongst residents.

  • There was a call for eating healthy as well, I am not sure how a challenge could do that but it bears scrutiny.

  • Another idea was to challenge neighborhood vs neighborhood in a walk-a-thon, how many miles each neighborhood walks or runs in a given time period. Or we could all issue a challenge to another community in the county to walk.

Please feel free to send me any ideas or improvements, I am going to do my first run/walk with the Mayor on January 6th! I think I will start them at 8am and jog for 20 minutes with a group of runners and then walk 30 minutes with the walkers. As for where I am going to do it! Invite me, otherwise I will pick a location and rotate from there each month.

Also I am looking for volunteers to coordinate this for me, since I have zero budget, I am going to hustle up some local sponsors, for signs, shirts, trophies and timing devices, but anyone with some energy and who wants to help, would be more then welcome! Please email me if you are interested in helping.

No comments:

Disqus Shortname

Comments system