Monday, May 25, 2015

1 week taper to the Northshore Half

So next Sunday I am running my third half marathon, the Northshore Half Marathon in Highland Park. Its 29 days post marathon, and I have been feeling good, so I am excited to see if I can push my half marathon PR (currently 2:50 set 7 months ago) even lower. Many of my training runs and in fact the first 13.1 of the marathon have been well under 2:50, and my unofficial PR is 2:37 set during a long run in the buildup to the Wisconsin Marathon.

So my goal is to be under 2:37 if I can, but will be happy with a sub 2:40. After all is said and done dropping your PR by 10 minutes is not a bad thing. The 10 day outlook for race days says, 50-60 and partly cloudy, although that was the same forecast for race day in Kenosha, where it ended up 75-80 and sunny.

My schedule this week, was a 7 miler yesterday, a 4 miler today, 3 miles of speed work on Wednesday and 5 miles on Thursday, and then 2 days of rest, before race day. The only potential change to this would be if I get assigned a IHSA Sectional game, but I am guessing I will not.

My recovery for the Northshore Half coincides with the kick off of my 20 week program to the Chicago marathon, which I will write about in more detail soon.

No comments:

Disqus Shortname

Comments system