Monday, March 23, 2015

Week 12 was not as bad as it seemed

So with refereeing kicking off and my weeks running schedule seemingly in chaos, it actually will turn out okay. I have been able to get my mileage in, this is a lower mileage week (22) in any event. After Wednesday's slow stationary game I did a center between Lakes HS and Evanston HS and was quite energetic getting in close to 4 miles (Garmin Forerunner 10 lost signal at some point during first half so not entirely sure). Think speed training when you think of refereeing, lots of wind sprints.

Overview of the program so far

I was looking at my wall calendar and noticing that I seem to miss Fridays' weightlifting quite a bit, (4 times in 12 weeks) which I am okay with, since the weightlifting was more general fitness related then marathon training related.

My sense is that I am doing okay with the training, while initially dreading the long runs. I have been able to do three of 15, 17, and 14 without to much difficulty, averaging a 12:30 per mile pace which I am happy with. On the horizon I have three more significant ones 12, 15 and 20, then I taper down. There is no dread with the long runs now, just a question to myself, since they have all been on a treadmill of how to keep my concentration up, since its oh so boring!

I am very happy with the 12:30 minute per mile pace I appear to be able to sustain, that equates to a 5:30 marathon which I would be very happy with. My pace for the Madison Half last November was 13:01, and I have to say my fitness has improved quite a bit since then, I am 4 pounds lighter, but visually more trimmer throughout the legs, arms and waist. This improved fitness I think translates into the ability to shave 30 seconds off my regular pace. Having said that I would be happy to sustain a 13 minute pace for the marathon as well!

In two of my long runs I was able to check my half marathon time as a split, and got a 2:47 and then a 2:42, and while both are unofficial, my official best is a 2:50, that's a nice feeling!

No comments:

Disqus Shortname

Comments system