Thursday, September 7, 2006

Round Lake Web Site 2.0

Yesterday at high noon the new web site debuted. We had the same look for 5 years, and the village board thought it was time for a change. For those of you who don't recall the web page history of Round Lake's web page, I will give your the quickie version.

When I was elected in 2001 I bought the domain name www.eroundlake.com, since www.roundlake.com is used by a freight company (I have tried to purchase it from them to no avail by the way both as a candiate and later as mayor). I turned over the domain name to the village for free, since I no longer needed it. I directed our village adminstrator to get a website up, which he did quite quickly but with little thought to the content and architecture behind it. So over time our website got a little confusing and stale.

I directed that our senior staff "own" thier sections to emphasise the major questions that resident ask of thier department, and make sure they are answered on the site. I also wanted most information to be at most 3 clicks away. In many cases its 2 clicks. So hopefully this new and improved website will better position us to answer residents, commercial developers and visitors questions 24/7/365! By the way comments are welcome, the more ideas and suggestions we get the better off we all will be!

No comments:

Disqus Shortname

Comments system