Thursday, September 28, 2006

The Nippersink Forest Preserve

NOTE: This is a post that I ran last October about the Nippersink Forest Preserve Project, I have gotton a couple of questions about the project recently so I decided to repost it here. I would add that the proposed Synnesvedt project has a connection from the Millenium Trail to this park. One of my long range goals is to then get a crossing for 120 so we connect via a path to the homes on the south side of 120.

A couple of years ago I got frustrated with a series of developers who kept insisting that they need to build homes on Nippersink Road across from Village School.
In a partnership with County Board Member Larry Leafblad we were able to chase off Neumann Homes and secure the 219 acre marsh to be added to the Lake County Forest Preserve. Now granted I did not do much other then frown and express dismay with the project and the Forest Preserve did the buying of the land. I do have issues with the Forest Preserve buying land and then not letting any one use the land that they buy, if you doubt me drive around and see all the land in the Forest Preserve, but this purchase made long term sense for the village and the area. Then about 2 years ago Toll Brothers wanted to bring 300 senior oreinted houses to the Country Lakes Resort on 120 across from Bacon Road. I had some conversations with the owners and the desire of the familly who owned the resort to sell the property. I then thought about it and referred to our comprehensive plan which led me to invite Bonnie Thompson Carter who is the President of the Lake County Forest Preserve and one of Round Lake's county board members. I drove her around the property which she knew well since her family owned portions of it way back when! I told her that I could prevent the development from happening if the Forest Preserve put up their money and bought the land for active recreation purposes. Kudos to her and the rest of the Forrest Preserve for carrying through. Last week I attended the sneak preview of whats coming and the graphic above is a representation of what is coming. The result of all of this is the Nippersink Forrest Preserve area in Round Lake. The Millenium Trail will also be coming through the area as well which is a wonderful addtion to the area.

No comments:

Disqus Shortname

Comments system