Thursday, February 2, 2006

Visitors from Afar

I got an interesting email from an old Round Lake Resident named Robert Hooker, who knows the guy who invented the word blog! Who by the way is named Jorn Barger. But I will let him tell you in his own words because he says its better then me!
I found the blog because a friend of mine from Chicago is in to blogs, as am I, because of my job. She knows I know the guy who invented the word "blog" and looks out for blogs. I am working on my PhD studying the impacts of the Internet an spend a massive amount of time tracking what is going on, I used to Google "Round Lake" until about 2001 when too many returns came back, so I now use virtual social nets to get information. I presently live in London itself, though what London means is not as clear as US cities. I don't live in the tiny centre called the City of London, rather I live in a place called Bow, which is part of the Greater London Authority, though the town I live in is technically Tower Hamlets, where I pay local taxes to. If Round Lake is still a bunch of townships sharing common schools and other services than that would be a good idea of the political situation in London. I live with my wife.

I left my own .com company in 2004 to join LogicaCMG which is one of the largest consulting firm in Europe and India but has little presence in the United States. I am an Internet consultant which today means I work on everything that has anything to do with computers. I am afraid my roots in Round Lake were rather shallow, just the nuclear family of my parents and my brother and we have all since moved away, though I have moved the furthest."
I would note that he did however graduate from Round Lake High School in 1984 and the University of Chicago in 1988. In addition he offered to send me all sorts of Manchester City soccer stuff. Whom by the way beat Newcastle United today 3-0.

By the way the picture is of the new mayor of Tower Hamlets Mayor Doro Ullah he's the one on the right with the "bling" on. Not sure what the guy with the giant stick does, but my guess is that any mayor could use a guy with a giant stick near him.

No comments:

Disqus Shortname

Comments system