Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Traffic Woes

Two days ago as I was merging into one lane from the three lanes that Route 53 becomes at Lake Cook. A semi got stuck in the east bound off ramp and tried to get into my lane with zero success until he reached me near the end of his possible merge.

I saw him trying to get into line further back, he also was using his signal, and knowing how hard it is to back track along Lake Cook, he qualified for my "niceness to other drivers" program. So I let him in!

Imagine my surprise when the lady in the passenger seat in the car behind me, a well dressed older women with her husband (I would guess, although hopefully not for his sake), started honking at me and gesturing at me with disgust. So I waved my hand at her, to acknowledge her anger, while letting the semi in. She just went nuts! It was so worth letting the semi in just to see her reaction! So good things do happen in traffic! She also pushed her husband aside to honk at me repeatedly for almost 60 seconds all the while spewing bile at me, which I was able to deduce from my skills as a lip reader were relating to my parentage!

I could see the husband looking at my license plate which is a Mayoral one and mentioning it to his wife, she by this time was screaming invective at me. Being a peaceful person, I immediately made a show of writing down the license plate and then acting like I was using my cell phone to vector in police officers to piss her off further. This also caused a different reaction, since they dove down the shoulder, and off the east bound ramp, across some grass I would add!

I am laughing as I write this! I wish they had stuck around so I could watch them and perhaps we could drive alongside each other on Lake Cook and exchange pleasantries!

For another residents traffic perspective on merging, this blog is a fine one written by John Gutknecht who is on the Villages Planning Commission and the Valley Lakes HOA.

He has a merging story of a different sort, I was unable to capture a picture of my incident since my cell phone was in use for fake phone calls, but John dialed up the level quite a bit higher then me! Check it out here!

No comments:

Disqus Shortname

Comments system