Saturday, April 30, 2005

Busy Saturday Morning

One of the most enjoyable parts of being Mayor is showing up at community events. I went to two today, the first was the installation of a special learning playground being installed at the Early Education Center next to Village School. About 10 months ago Clarice Ornstein (my daughters second grade teacher 7 years ago) mentioned to me how she was looking for $12,500 to purchase the equipment for the playground but did not think she was able to get district funding for it. At the same time the village board was locked in a impasse with the developer of the apartment complex on Fairfield over proper payments, owing to some legal ambiguity. We offered to split the difference with them if the money went to school district 116. Of the $25,000 we were able to steer half of it to this project.

The second event was a play at the Park District called the "The Emperors New Clothes" starring Emily Perkowitz daughter of one our trustees and co-staring Rudy Repa our neighbor. The play was great always fun to see the kids get up and say their parts with various degrees of confidence. I recall two roles in my past in second grade I was the "third turkey" with the line "Cheer up Eva cheer up" and I was the 12th day of Christmas in my senior play in High School. Neither memorable, except for the fact that I have played a turkey!

No comments:

Disqus Shortname

Comments system