Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Regional Transportation Authority Testimony

About 10 days ago I testified at an RTA (Regional Transportation Authority) public hearing in Grayslake. The RTA put on an excellent presentation which you can view here as a PDF. What follows is my testimony, it was interesting to hear others concerns and issues, all in all it was well worth the time.
My name is Bill Gentes and I am the Mayor of Round Lake, I also serve on the board of directors for the Lake County Transportation Alliance, on the Lake County Partners Board of Governors as well as being the Chair of the Route 120 Corridor Planning Council.
  • Long commutes
  • Outrageous gas prices
  • Standing room only on Metra trains
  • Not enough parking
  • Not enough trains and stations
  • More “reverse commute” options
As Mayor for 8 years I have heard all of these things repeatedly from residents of Lake County. I personally have observed numerous improvements to transportation over the years from the state and county governments, but in reality they are stop gap measures at best, barely keeping our heads above water. A few minutes ago I listed 6 items, of which 3 are directly solvable by increasing and improving Regional Transportation funding, the other three are syptoms of the illness that is plaguing transportation in the region Tonight at this hearing we have heard that there is a plan to move transit issues forward This state desperately needs the passage of the so-called “Capitol plan” I call on the legislature and governor to move forward on this needed piece of legislation so we can start to implement the RTA plan and get this state moving again. Thank you

No comments:

Disqus Shortname

Comments system