Thursday, July 10, 2008

Raising Money for a Good Cause

A Bright Meadows Resident named Maureen Girimonte better known as Mo is doing this and she asked me to pass this along for her. I wrote about this awhile ago here.
As some of you may know, I am riding in Tour DaVita which is Sept 14-18, 2008. Tour DaVita is a minimum 240 mile ride kidney awareness fundraising ride. The goal is to raise kidney awareness and raise funds for The Kidney TRUST. In order to do the ride, each rider must raise $1000 by August 1st.

This year the ride takes place through Wisconsin. We begin in London, WI just outside Madison, WI and end the ride past Sturgeon Bay, WI which is NE of Green Bay, WI. Each night we camp which significantly keeps the costs per rider down since the tents are all donated for this ride as are the bikes. During the day, we ride 60-80 miles each day. The ride may be stated as 240 miles, but that is the minimum depending on if routes are changed at the last minute.

So far, I have been able to raise $250. I have received a lot of verbal donations but now is the time to start sending the money so that I can make the Aug 1st deadline. My overall goal is to raise $2500. My theory is this is the biggest athletic event I have done since my car accident. What better way to get back into my previous lifestyle then to do something like this? Not only am I able to prove to myself that I can do the things I loved before but can also help raise awareness to the public on the serious nature of kidney disease.

I have started a personal blog in the spirit of this ride. Pop in ever now and then if you wish. In it are direct links to my fundraising page and the website for Tour DaVita which gives more detailed facts. I am also including all these links at the bottom of this email.

Please donate what you can, even if it is $5-$10, it will make a difference. Of course, forward this to everyone you know too. The overall goal is to increase kidney awareness which is best by word of mouth, or in this case, email.

No comments:

Disqus Shortname

Comments system