Monday, March 24, 2008

From the Mayors Email Basket--Snow Plowing Part One

I would like to make some observations on snow plowing. Most of the following questions have been addressed to me over the last few years and over this winter as well, if you had a question that I fail to address email me it.

Where do my tax dollars go if not to plow snow from the front of my house instantly?
Well your tax dollars do go to public works, but to snow plow your street instantly we would need more staff and more equipment, so when your elected officials set up a budget they try to balance the fact that spending $85,000 to $95,000 on a new truck just to have it sit around all spring summer and fall would be a poor use of your tax money. Sometimes residents have to be patient.

Why are cul-de-sacs left to the very end?
When I was elected we had no snow plan, or training for drivers, when we st down and evaluated how we wanted to plow our streets it became apparent the way we could get to all through streets first, was to avoid cul-de-sacs and get them last, the old way was one where we did them as we came to them which caused the whole process to be 30% slower. There was also an education process on how to do cul-de-sacs, which we have lots of!

Your plow blocked my driveway in after I shoveled/snowblew/ignored my driveway!
Sadly thats the way it is, if its any consolidation it annoys me as well.

Why is my street the last to be plowed?
Because you annoy me! Ha ha actually all the emails I get generally accuse the village of doing that exact thing. I did a detailed geo-plotting of the locations we plow last (according to the emails I get) and discovered we plow every area of the village last!

You must have gotten 100's more complaints about snow removal this year, because this year is the worst ever!
I save all complaint emails and looked at them, and oddly enough I have less this year then last year. I am not sure what that means, but don't start sending me more just to make up numbers.

My street never gets plowed?
Well you may live in a development that has private streets, some town home developments have this right now, so that might be it.

I bet your street gets plowed first!
Actually it doesn't, my neighbors complain to me about that fact all the time, why do they want to live near the mayor if they can't get some better treatment!

No comments:

Disqus Shortname

Comments system